Monday, March 8, 2010

Who You Know

Fun Night is the biggest fundraiser of the year for my kids' school. The evening is full of carnival games, food, and Silent Auction baskets. My family joined in the fun this past weekend - and it was great, as always. Just before we were ready to leave, we had a brief mix-up in dinner plans. Long story short, we ended up with $10 worth of extra tickets for food. Lee tried to sell them back but the people at the ticket table just laughed at him. Poor guy. A friend said that she would take them and get the money back at the end of the night. "It's all in who you know," she said. Isn't that the truth? She took the tickets, gave us ten bucks, and that was that.

The next night I was invited to go to a Hoe-down school fundraiser with another friend. She had played the role of "Elvira" for the promotional videos and was able to bring a couple friends along at no charge. When we got there, instead of paying our $50 to get it, my friend said, "They are with me." Sure enough, our names were on the list and we walked right in-with free drink tickets, too!

Don't you love "knowing people"? When Lee worked in the restaurant business, I loved going in for dinner - complementary, of course, because I knew the manager. Sometimes it's free drinks at the bar because you know the bartender or free concert tickets because you know the band. Maybe it's just better service because you are friends with someone's boss. When was the last time you had an "in" because you knew someone?

It made me start to wonder .... is that what it will be like when we get to heaven? We'll arrive at the pearly gates and Jesus will nod His head and say, "She's with me." Now that is someone worth knowing! Free parties and free food is nothing compared to free life eternal.

Jesus gives us hints to the benefits of a friendship with Him:
"You are my friends if you do what I command...I have called you friends, for everything I learned from the Father I have made known to you." John 15:14-15
"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." John 14:3
"For You granted Him authority over all people that He might give eternal life to all those you have given Him." John 17:2

But just like it takes work to maintain good friendships on earth, the same is true for our friendship with Jesus. Friendships are two way streets and give and take; good communication is needed. Who wants a friend who just uses you for their own benefit? I don't think that we can just play the "I know Jesus card" and call ourselves good.

Jesus asks a lot from us. No one said that following Him was going to be easy. We spend a lifetime trying to figure out how to be like Him and trying to do what He would have us do. But even when we mess up, He loves us still. He never turns His back on us, as long as we keep trying. He's always there, waiting to welcome us back with open arms.

Now that's a friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment